… Where to start?
So, busy that I took NO photos! Ugh. Sorry. I like photos of SPX, and it sucks I didn’t take any. Well, I took a few.
So why didn’t I take any? Because it was F@#$’n BUSY!
A few of us talked MANY times about what IS the magic formula that SPX has? A good city? A good steering committee? Good exhibitors? Honestly, I don’t know if we ever came up with an answer, but maybe all of that combines to make an instance of ultimate showness.
I also think I’ve come to the decision that I’m either out of shape, or getting too old to work these shows. I guess I’ll go with the out of shape thought and work on fixing that. (yeah, right.) Anyway, I’m currently sore in spots that shouldn’t be sore.
OK.. this isn’t working out as a good blog/show recap, so it’s rapid fire time:
– I enjoyed getting a brief history lesson about one of my fave comic publishers from Gary Groth.
– I told Ben Marra that I really like him and I meant it. But I don’t really know him, so I need to fix that.
– Watching Sterling Hundley bring out original after original was a mind-bomb. I found it refreshing and inspiring.
– Always great to see the crew who gave birth to the show. Thank you SO MUCH!
– It was a nice surprise to see Kevin and Dan from St. Louis. I even gave Dan some good ol’ Red Bird poofy mints.
– Dinner with Dawson, Ethan and Lamar was pretty fun. Rapid fire genius thoughts! I’m only sorry we scared Alex and thus, Tony away. Troop 142 looks VERY good!
– Tony F’n Consiglio!
– I gave Dan Nadel a surprise hug. I like Dan too. I’m surprised he hasn’t been using DJ protectors.
– I don’t even know what to say about Jim Rugg. He’s playing in a new sandbox that we’ve only seen a glimpse. I can’t wait until he let’s us in full tilt. (Is that a pinball metaphor?)
– Speaking of pinball… New Drop Target! Hellzyeah!
– Seeing my HeroesCon buddies is always a treat. Especially when they bring gifts! (Thanks Rico!)
– Many thanks to Ethan Rilly for making the long trip for only one day of the show! What a super trooper! (cue Abba).
– So yeah, I did that thing to another publisher that people do to me… Go up and ask them about a book that they didn’t publish. Sorry!
– As you might have saw, Tom and I announced AmBarb to much fanfare. It was great seeing him work the originals Sunday morn.
– Thanks to the SPX crew for all their hard work! It IS appreciated!
– Man…. I have like three HUGE piles of comics/books to read. I don’t know where to start!
– Congrats to all the Ignatz winners! Thank god it is one of the shorter ceremonies. It was HOT! Like a “story rocket”!
– Lamar is great. Loved his Ignatz presenting. Perfect Lamar!
– I had my FIRST Old Fashioned courtesy of the the generous Barry & Leon! Thanks!!!
– You can NEVER see everyone. It is just impossible. So Nick and I need to reschedule.
OK. I guess that’s it. Really, not much there, right? If you were there, you know what it’s like. If you weren’t and haven’t been, you really need to fix that.
In closing…. thanks to everyone for everything. (That covers my bases!)